The lowdown on Amazon's Subscription & Discovery Box program
Amazon Subscription or Discovery Boxes allows 3P FBM Sellers to list, sell and manage a subscription service of Amazon products for consumers. Unlike Subscribe & Save, which caters to single item consumables, the aim of subscription boxes isn’t to subscribe to a specific product but to subscribe to a service to help consumers discover new products they love. Sellers basically pack and ship their subscribed discovery boxes on a monthly basis as a Direct to Consumer service (D2C).
- Brands & re-sellers alike are able to create their own discovery boxes.
- Increase product awareness amongst new audiences.
- Can create a discovery box in any of Amazon’s product categories.
- There are no additional fees for participating in this program. Standard selling and referral fees apply.
- Entirely your decision as to what to include in your boxes.
- You can curate a variety of plan options for your subscription eg. larger sizes/quanity, people’s preferences/tastes or even allergens eg. gluten-free options.
- You can manage single items and subscriptions from the same seller account.
- Amazon Subscription Box sellers have the option of fulfilling orders on a rolling basis as new subscriptions are generated or in batches all at once at the same time each month.
- Can create a recurring, loyal, revenue base.
- Consumers are given a % off their first order to entice them to try the service.
- Amazon takes care of administration eg. customer acquisition, sign-ups and payments so you don’t have to.
What is required to be eligible for the program?
- Sellers must be using FBA.
- Invite-Only program.
- Only available in North America at the moment (Amazon.com).
- Must be able to support free shipping directly to customers in all 50 states, Guam & Puerto Rico.
- Sellers must have an active Professional Seller account to begin selling subscription boxes (not required to apply).
If eligible, applicants will be notified via email of their status in 7-10 business days.