The lowdown on Amazon's Subscription & Discovery Box program
Amazon Subscription or Discovery Boxes allows 3P FBM Sellers to list, sell and manage a subscription service of Amazon products for consumers. Unlike Subscribe & Save, which caters to single item consumables, the aim of subscription boxes isn’t to subscribe to a specific product but to subscribe to a service to help consumers discover new products they love. Sellers basically pack and ship their subscribed discovery boxes on a monthly basis as a Direct to Consumer service (D2C).
- Brands & re-sellers alike can create their own discovery boxes.
- Increase product awareness amongst new audiences.
- Can create a discovery box in any of Amazon’s product categories.
- There are no additional fees for participating in this program. Standard selling and referral fees apply.
- Entirely your decision as to what to include in your boxes.
- You can curate a variety of plan options for your subscription eg. larger sizes/quantity, people’s preferences/tastes or even allergens eg. gluten-free options.
- You can manage single items and subscriptions from the same seller account.
- Amazon Subscription Box sellers have the option of fulfilling orders on a rolling basis as new subscriptions are generated or in batches all at once at the same time each month.
- Can create a recurring, loyal, revenue base.
- Consumers are given a % off their first order to entice them to try the service.
- Amazon takes care of administration eg. customer acquisition, sign-ups and payments so you don’t have to.
What is required to be eligible for the program?
- Sellers cannot use FBA to ship their discovery boxes.
- Can apply for a discovery box Seller Application.
- Only available in North America at the moment (Amazon.com).
- Must be able to support free shipping directly to customers in all 50 states, Guam & Puerto Rico.
- Sellers must have an active Professional Seller account to begin selling subscription boxes (not required to apply).
If eligible, applicants will be notified via email of their status in 7-10 business days.
Any last tips for subscription boxes?
Sign up to your very own subscription with Molzi
We have decades of experience making sure all Amazon accounts are running smoothly so that our clients can continue to improve and innovate their sales and help them grow. Subscription boxes are just one way we can optimise your potential Amazon consumer base. Let us provide your brand with a sales strategy you can rely on. Equally, why not leave the nitty-gritty of account management with our experts and contact us today.